Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Over Share

Now, before I begin, I have to preface this post with a simple fact. Customer Service is our business. It's what we're known for. It's what brings people back time and time again to buy our products. I love talking to customers, sharing tid-bits of common interests, product history or information, etc. This is something we all enjoy as a manager.

However, it's important that you understand that we are not trained life coaches. We like our customer interactions like we like all other stranger interactions that occur in the rest of the world: shallow.

You don't know me. I don't know you. Yes, we see each other once a week, maybe even twice. I know your name, and because of my name tag, you know mine. We are aware of a few interesting facts about one another. Occupation (again, mine is obvious), a few key interests, even the movie you saw in the theater last weekend.

I draw the line at conversations that make me uncomfortable.


Last week, a woman who is a regular customer and whom I've had short, pleasant talks with while moving through the store, broached a subject I had no desire in discussing. She had a miscarriage a few weeks back and on top of that her ex-husband appeared to be doing everything he could to minimize her time spent with her children.

All very serious and worthwhile conversations to be had with a close friend, a confidant, or a therapist. I am none of these things. If you're offering to pay me a couple hundred dollars an hour to listen to your problems then please, continue. However, my job is to run this grocery store and to serve you as a customer. My service stops and the awkwardness begins when you bring up your faulty uterus.

Maybe it's our environment, or the image of our company that really disarms you as a customer, but it's important that you remember to remain shallow. It's like when your in-laws visit for a week. On the third morning, your father-in-law, looking for coffee, walks into the kitchen in his underwear.

Conclusion: you have grown too comfortable.

At the end of the day, and after all the conversations you've had with us, there are two things that we want that you can be confident in knowing: keep your pants on and there is a reason there are no couches in our store.

So get off yours, buy your produce and have a nice day.

And with that, I'm off to work.

Sincerely,
Your Neighborhood Grocery Store Manager

1 comment:

  1. "faulty uterus" <lol.

    Also, about those pants:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZO9tMetxno

    ReplyDelete